- Washing hands 4 times a day can reduce gastroenteritis by 47% and the flu by 24% in any school setting.
- 5000 children die every year from lack access to soap and water.
- 80% of all infections are transmitted by hand hygiene.
- Waterless gels do not always stop Gastroenteritis. They should not be used as a classroom alternative to soap and water in the school toilet.
- Diarrhea and respiratory tract infections are the two of the biggest killers of children in the developing world.
- Many schools all over the world do not have soap.
- Vandalism is the major reason that soap is not provided in many schools.
- Every child has the basic right to soap and water.
- Hand washing must become second nature.
- Sadly, adults have failed the hand hygiene challenge.
Many countries do not have legislation covering the provision of soap in schools including Australia.